History and Facts
Westmoreland county was formed from Bedford county on February 26, 1773. It was the first county in the colony of Pennsylvania established west of the Allegheny Mountains. It got its name after a historic English county of the same name.
During the Industrial Revolution, Westmoreland County was a major supplier of coke for the steel and glass industries. Due to the abundance of natural resources in the area, a number of other manufacturing companies emerged. New Kensington was a key location for aluminum, Monessen led the county in steel and tin plate production, while Jeannette, Mt. Pleasant, Greensburg and Arnold were key players in the glass industry.
The capital seat is the City of Greensburg a modest size city that is more of a town than a city. The courthouse is the most prominent building in the center of Greensburg.
The county is home to many fine schools of higher education including: Carlow University, Penn State New Kensington, Saint Vincent College, Seton Hill University, the University of Pittsburgh at Greensburg, and Westmoreland County Community College
A few of the county’s largest businesses include Excela Health System, United Parcel Service, Elliott Turbomachinery Company, Supervalu, Inc., Westinghouse Electric, Timken Latrobe Steel, Kennametal, Alcoa Technical Center, ABB Inc., Leedsworld Inc., Wal-Mart Associates, Inc., Respironics Corporation, Inc., and First Energy.